When greater self awareness is combined with right action, one positive outcome is greater collective awareness – greater awareness at the community, societal, and cultural levels.
Some paths of right action:
- Global warming – man-made climate change – there are many, many paths of right action regarding human influenced global warming. Many organizations such as 350.org that are working together towards the People’s Climate Movement on April 29th.
- Standing Rock – a Great Turning indeed!
- Reclaiming American democracy (see Field Guide to the Democracy Movement) by separating the influence of concentrated money from governance. This separation is critical, particularly during the election cycle because money greatly influences elections (details). How did this happen?
- In the 1700’s money (power) was concentrated in the church and in monarchies, Then the American Revolution and the American Constitution separated that power from governance – the Constitution created self governance, a democratic republic.
- Years later corporate law was created, i.e. corporations become legal in the US. Slowly at first but with increasing constitutional reach/interpretations, that same once separated influence become constitutionally legitimate with Citizens United v. FEC.
- Problematically, the US definition of democracy, the Constitution, is no longer being interpreted in its original intent regarding this separation of concentrated power (money) and governance. This is why it is right (civic) action to work towards a constitutional amendment, regardless if you are a strict constructionist or a judicial activist, or a conservative or liberal.
Separating this influence, particularly during the election cycle, is necessary for a functional and effective democratic republic.
- Also see American Promise, Reclaim Our Democracy, or this list of organizations.
Some paths towards greater self awareness, greater self consciousness:
- Some traditional paths:
- Personal prayer / meditation / yoga
- From/for those whose shoes may be more worn:
- A podcast: On Being by Krista Tippett
- On ways of thinking more clearly (when one thinking is or being asked to think)
- See our current high tech project to revamp how public elections are managed – The VOTES Project.